Monday, March 26, 2012

Childhood memories of the RoadRunner and Wild E. Coyote...



The cartoons I watched growing up all fit into the orthodox style described in the reading. whether it was a Disney cartoon or the animated series created by Warner Bros, I didn't ever branch out. Mostly because I saw what was made readily available to me at the time, which happened to be the adventures of the RoadRunner and Wile E. Coyote. So, when I am told to reflect upon animation, these are the examples that come to mind. Their use of narrative form that featured figures made it very easy for me to follow along when I was younger (because honestly, most cartoons on TV seem to be made with a younger audience in mind.) It makes sense that when I reflect back on cartoons, I have a specific soundtrack in mind that goes along with whatever crazy adventures the characters took. This aided in deciphering what was going on in the story as well as the tone. I think of characters that belong in a world that consists of ten colors, at most. These visual conventions are now what I tend to look for in traditional cartoons. Story-wise, most cartoons tend to have the famous chase scenes and there were plenty of chase scenes in the RoadRunner and Coyote cartoons. They always seemed to take a similar trajectory -- the roadrunner would do something to anger the coyote, coyote chases roadrunner with the intent to kill him ( which is a bit harsh, but then again, the coyote was always a bit extreme), coyote employs the use of ACME dynamite, thinks he has roadrunner trapped only to find out all too late that his plan backfires and roadrunner gets away unharmed. Why the coyote never learned that he will never catch the roadrunner is beyond me. But this same chase scene is always repeated, and always something I had looked forward to.


No comments:

Post a Comment